Costas Toufexis, MD
Endocrinology and Diabetes, Internal Medicine
Mail Address: 45 Michalaki Karaoli St., Pera, Nicosia, 2650 Cyprus
Telephone: +357 22 502 231, +357 99660571, +357 22502001
Fax: +357 22351938
Dr Toufexis was born in Nicosia. He completed his secondary education at the English School Nicosia, Cyprus, and then enrolled at Manchester University Medical School, where he obtained the M.B.ChB. He subsequently became a member of the Royal College of Physicians and in 1989 he obtained the Diploma in Endocrinology from London University.
During his medical training he held the following posts:
- Medical House Officer at the Royal Preston Hospital, Lancashire
- Surgical House Officer at the Salford Royal Hospital, Manchester
- Senior House Officer in General Medicine (Associate University Hospital, University of London)
- Senior House Officer in General Medicine and Cardiology, Macclesfield District General Hospital
- Senior House Officer in Neurology at the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital
- Registrar in General Medicine and Endocrinology at King’s Mill Hospital, Nottinghamshire
- Research Fellow in Endocrinology at the Hammersmith Hospital, London.
Since 1990, he has been working as a consultant in Endocrinology, Diabetes and Internal Medicine and in 2005 he joined the Hippocrateon Private Hospital. He has a private practice of more than 20,000 patients.
Management of Pre diabetes and Diabetes patients including treatment with insulin infusion pumps. Management of thyroid disorders including thyroid aspiration and biopsy of nodule.
Management of obesity, hirsutism and acne, menstrual irregularities, menopause ,osteoporosis, premature and delayed puberty, short stature, erectile dysfunction in men, pituitary disorders, elevated prolactin, calcium metabolism, hyponatraemia and adrenal gland disorders.
Management of all common disorders relating to internal medicine.
Thyroid ultrasonography aspiration and biopsy of nodules.
PUBLICATIONS AND ABSTRACTS
1. C. Toufexis. Major Intervention studies in type 2 Diabetes. Implications for primary care practice. Cyprus Medical Journal. Dec. 2001
2. N. Skordis, C. Toufexis, J. Kasios. Epidemiology of insulin dependent diabetes in children and adolescence in Cyprus. Cyprus Medical Journal, 1998.
3. C. Toufexis, N. Skordis, A. Athanasiou. Epidemiology of IDDM in Cyprus. Abstract. 3rd European meeting for the implementation of the St. Vincent Declaration 1995.
4. E. Papathanasiou, E.Zamba, C.Toufexis. Sural nerve ratio: a new method for detecting mind sensory axonopathy. Abstract International Congress of Clinical Neurophysiology, Buenos Aires Argentina, May 1995.
5. C. Toufexis, K.Parman, SR Bloom. The chromatographic characterization of NPY – like immunoreactivity in human plasma. Abstract. 9th National Scientific meeting of the Bayliss and Starling Society. Nottingham, September 1989.
6. investigation of type 2 diabetes susceptibility loci in the Cypriot population.
Votsi C, Toufexis C,Christodoulou K.
European Human Genetics Conference 2013.Abstract
7.Epidemiology of hypoglycaemia and its impact on quality of life in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (HYPO-Cyprus)Therapontos Christina,Toufexis Costas.
Poster submitted to ISPOR 17th Annual European Congress 8-12 November2014 Amsterdam Netherlands.
8.Investigation of Type 2 diabetes susceptibility loci in the Cypriot population.
C Votsi C Toufexis K Christodoulou
Published abstract.European Human Genetics conference 8-11 June 2013Paris
9.Type 2 Diabetis Susceptibility in the Greek Cypriot Population:Replication of associations with TCF7L2, FTO, HHEX, SLC30A8 and IGF2BP2 polymorphisms.
Human Genetics and Genomics 2016 CVotsi C Toufexis K Michaelidou. AAntoniades N Skordis M Karaolis CPattichi's K Christodoulou
- Cyprus Institute of Neurology and Genetics.
- Cyprus Society for the Study of Diabetes.
- Cyprus Society of Endocrinology.
- European Association for the Study of Diabetes.
- European Federation of Endocrine Societies.