Alkis Pierides, MD, FRCP, FACP
Nephrology & Internal Medicine
Mail Address: 6-12 Psaron Str., 2408 Engomi, Nicosia
Telephone: +357 22502235
Fax: +357 22351938
Dr Alkis Pierides was born in 1944, attended the Pancyprian Gymnasium in Nicosia and graduated in 1962 with the Gogion prize for the student with the best overall, 6-year school record. He studied Medicine at the University of Leeds in England and graduated in 1969 with honours and several prizes. He continued his postgraduate medical studies in Leeds and Newcastle Upon Tyne and in 1976 he joined the staff of the Mayo Clinic in the USA where he worked as a Consultant Nephrologist and Associate Professor of Medicine/Nephrology. In 1983 he returned to Cyprus to organise and head the newly established dept of Nephrology. In 1984 he established the Cyprus Kidney Association (CKA) and through that the Paraskevaidion Renal Transplant Centre.
Twenty years later, the University of Cyprus honoured the CKA with its prestigious 2005 annual prize for its significant contribution to Society and Civilization.
Dr Alkis Pierides has published widely, with more than 250 scientific papers and presentations in national and international meetings and journals. He has organized more than 10 International scientific medical meetings and has authored or co-authored 8 medical textbooks. A significant educational achievrment has been his role as a co-editor of CLINICAL NEPHROLOGY, a four volume textbook of Nephrology in Greek, each 1000 pages long. He also started and helped run The Halcyon Days in Nephrology, an annual educational seminar in Greece from 1990 to the present time.
Beginning June 1st 2006, Dr A Pierides continues his general nephrology practice at the Hippocrateon private hospital with a special interest in the investigation and treatment of hypertension, urinary tract infections and renal stone disease, the management of diabetic nephropathy, the investigation and treatment of all disorders of calcium metabolism, especially those of parathyroid origin, all inherited kidney diseases, such as polycystic kidney disease, familial hematurias and the Troodos Cyprus CFHR5 nephropathy. He is also very interested in systemic diseases such as SLE, angiitis and multiple myeloma and especially diseases of the adrenal glands such as the Conn syndrome, Cushing’s disease and phaeochromocytoma
Dr A Pierides has been awarded, many national and international honours and prizes, the latest in Athens, on the 5th March 2016, when he was awarded a special prize and distinction as a speaker of the Imternational Hippocratic Society. This award is given annually to only two distinguished Greek scientists, world wide.
Dr. Alkis Pierides is interested in all aspects of nephrology but has special research interests in:
- The investigation and treatment of secondary hypertension, particularly as it relates to adrenal disease (laparoscopic adrenalectomies) and renovascular disease with balloon dilatation and stenting
- All problems of calcium metabolism especially primary hyperparathyroidism and osteoporosis.
- All inherited renal diseases especially polycystic kidney disease, benign familial hematuria and thin basement membrane disease
- Management of Thrombophilia, especially in Pregnancy and renal infarcts
Dr. Alkis Pierides has published over 100 refereed scientific papers in the English language and many others in the Greek language. All papers can be found in PUB/MED.
- Member of the Renal Association – U.K.
- Member of the Hellenic Renal Association & E KO NY
- Member of the European Dialysis and Transplant Association
- Member of the American Society of Nephrology
- Member of the International Society of Nephrology
- Member of the International Society of Hemofiltration (Secretary 1982 – 1985)
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of London
- Fellow of the American College of Physicians